Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
The linocuts of Australian artist Stan Squire are inextricably rooted to his native New South Wales—both in content and production. When the fickle surf in his zone goes flat, he retreats to his studio and hunkers down to work, creating Arcadias of perfect surf that are half fantasy and half memory. And when the conditions shift, he heads back out to restock the mental banks. “It’s inconsistent down here,” he says, “so you’re constantly dreaming about perfect setups. Whereas if you grew up in Bali, there’d be no need.”