Where the Swell Begins
Volume 18.Issue 6
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Find out where the “Source Waters” of the summer swell begins as Walter Munk describes at length his oceanic discoveries of the last 70 years. He has played a key role in predicting swells since WWII along with the first tsunami warning system. Munk pioneered the study of acoustic tomograpy, and is author to more than 200 scientific papers and winner of numerous scientific awards.