When Ships Were Made of Wood
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Ron Smith was a surfer who some might have described as a “parking lot surf hero.” Yet beneath the shell of his workaday surf routine in Southern California is the untold story of a dedicated life by the ocean. Scott Tinley recalls the quiet adventures of the special-ops-trained, surfer/triathlete, and Chart House overseer.