Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
All around waterman, Valentine Ching, Jr., has spent a lifetime surfing the waters of Oahu and is known as the pioneer of shortboard surfing on his paipo. He and his father began designing and riding paipo boards when he was only 7 years old, riding both kipapa (prone) and ku (standing) style. “Uncle Val” is busy passing the torch on to his children and their generation by encouraging and teaching Hawaiian culture, farming, arts fishing practices, and, of course, paipo shaping and riding.