There Are No Sharks
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Late-millennial big-wave waterman Marty Hoffman spent much of his youth in the orbit of his father, Flippy, surfing the North Shore, Indo, and deep into Baja in the process. He eventually landed on the U.S. Team alongside Tom Curren in the 1980s, but a career as a competitor was never really in the cards. Steve Barilotti profiles Marty and explores his life as a son, his transition into fatherhood, the pitfalls of only surfing outer reefs, and being raised by the wolf in a very undomesticated pack: “I was an accident—and Flippy was NOT interested in being a dad.”