The Life And Deaths Of Allan Byrne
Volume 23.Issue 3
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Even in the heyday of the accomplished surfer-shaper—when Mark Richards, Terry Fitz, and Reno Abellira stacked the heat sheets—New Zealand’s Allan Byrne stood apart. We had been gathering photos and looking for the right issue for deployment when we heard Allan had passed. He lived an adventurous and accomplished life, and easily fueled a full-throated feature. His corporeal absence makes this article all the more resonant, and there’s not a surfer alive who hasn’t done a lustful double-take when taking the measure of one of Allan’s wicked channel bottoms. Read and learn, as we did.