Volume 19.Issue 5
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Lindsay Lord’s planing hull study in Hawaii during WWII marks an obscure pivotal moment in surf history. After discovering Lord’s book Naval Architecture of Planing Hulls, Bob Simmons developed the first hydrodynamic planing hull. Fast forward to 2009. Ryan Burch and Lucas Dirkse are students of riding simple surfable finless boards of closed-cell foam: They work the same with a fin, only faster and are strong enough to ride without glassing.