Russell Hoover Portfolio
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Porter Turnbull is on his way into the Southern Ocean, attempting to realize a lifelong dream of finding rideable surf in Antarctica. The vessel he is aboard is on an exploratory wildlife expedition. His surfboard is strategically masked as photography equipment, in case the sight of it would end his exploration before it began. The captain eventually gets wind of what Porter is planning. Rather than shatter Porter's dream, the captain supports it, and he and the crew volunteer to help provide access to potential surf zones along the voyage. After poring over charts and logs from previous trips, Porter searches out, and finds what he was looking for.