Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Imagine a time before men curated their boot collections. Before twee explorations of “maker” culture. Before there were 172 blogs about hand-foiled fins. Japanese surfer Rin Tanaka was there. Hell, his whole country was. No one honored the best of Americana like the land of the Rising Sun. They were students of Yater, sat at the knee of Bruce Brown for stories, sought out new-old-stock Birdwell windbreakers. They found that old California goods compared favorably to circa-’93 surf product on any level you’d care to cite. Rin has some thoughts, and Brisick had the time.