Johnny Fain of Malibu
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Danny Aaberg’s interview with one of Malibu’s earliest gremlins, Johnny Fain. This piece explores the early surf scene in Malibu along with the rise of competitive surfing. On a more personal level, Aaberg & Fain discuss Johnny’s surfing career, injuries, removing himself from the surf scene to step into the acting spotlight, and eventually diving back into the water despite his discrepancies with constantly growing crowds.