Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Photographer Dan Russo—every bit as dangerous as the big wave freebooters he chronicles—is always down for a challenge. And while North Shore based, he is all too willing to plunge into ice-bath circumstances far from the Palm Latitudes. He recently found himself in Chile, on the prowl for rumored Virgin Size. He traveled with Nathan Fletcher and Kohl Christensen. In Hawaii, they’re known as chargers. In Australia, they’re known as Hell Men. Most of us just call them Bat Shit, and hope their premiums are paid up. See what they stumbled into—and down the faces of.