Granny and Doc
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
The unbreakable bond of friendship between John Heath “Doc” Ball and LeRoy Grannis saw the two of them through Southern California’s surfing pre-history, World War II, and post-war assimilation to civilian life. Their glory days of membership in the Palos Verdes Surfing Club have since given way to commercialism-driven surf culture and group organization, but several photos help us understand the purity of their socio-surfing experience.