Giri and Ninjo: Japan’s Enduring Mystery
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Katsu Kawaminami, a Japanese surfer in Guam hitchhikes a ride from Guam to Japan with Tor Johnson. Since Katsu introduced Johnson to Japanese surfing, he had a fascination with Japan and learned the Japanese language. He returned to Japan in search of surf that is fickle from typhoon swell, but rewarding when it arrives. Story covers Japanese surf and culture such as wave pools, surf shops, food and localism.