Gallery: Different Strokes
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Three Southern California outdoor impressionist surfer-painters meet at San Onofre Surf Beach for a day of painting and surfing. Just as an accomplished surfer knows the ideal takeoff spot, so the “three amigos” migrate to the same vantage point above the beach to paint the scene in their own impression. This compare and contrast article photographs each of their finished works from that day, and also highlights each artist’s technique, brushstroke and palette with a high-resolution section of each work. Accompanying these photographs is an interview with the three artists. This unusual exercise and informative article is a study in diversity and the art appreciation.