First Class: The Story Behind the Duke Kahanamoku Stamp
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
The Duke Kahanamoku Commemorative USPS stamp was released into distribution during the summer of 2002. USPS art director and 60’s east coast surfer Carl Herrman tells us about the process of portrait creation that goes into the making of the stamp.