Father Serra at El Rincon
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Stephen Cline translates an 18th century letter written by Junipero Serra. The letter was intended for Father Pedro Font and greatly mimics its period language. The letter describes an adventure traveling up the coast and passing an Indian village at Rincon, where he witnesses a skilled canoesman race the entire length of a sizable point peeler.