Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Generally the province of sponsored young globetrotters, the Mentawais boat trip/photo shoot has become shorthand for surf corpo extravagance. Hitting a peak in the early double-oughts, some wave-adjacent anchorages looked suspiciously like the Palm Beach Yacht Show. This piece chronicles a different sort of situation. Meet our 40-something crew of extraordinary gentlemen: Tom Curren, Gary “Kong” Elkerton, and Mark Occhilupo. They brought offspring and understudies. On tap? Style contrasts, knowledge, and good times on the teak decks of the .