Chasing Down the Genius
Volume 20.Issue 2
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
A self-taught surfboard maker, Jim Phillips began shaping in his early teens in the ’60s while living in Hawaii. But being a military brat, he became and East Coast guy in the mid-’60s and quickly worked his way into the surf niche as a surfer-shaper when the East Coast surf scene was in its infancy. Phillips relocated to California in the ’90s, still builds boards the old-fashioned way, and is truly a master craftsman.