Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Tor Johnson relates the tale of finding a barreling right-hand wave on the island of Porto Santo, only to discover that the wave looked better from the rail of the boat than from the water. After a moment of euphoria, Johnson and his buddy Yoshi find the wave is too fast, a hopeless closeout. After getting worked repeatedly, they retreat. Johnson reflects on whether the moment of discovery was negated by the actuality, or whether the moment of discovery in itself is the point of the exercise.