Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
While Sam George was at Makaha for Buffalo’s Big Board Classic, he met a family on the beach who he initially assumed were tourists. They turned out to be the family who owned the house on the point known to him as “The Rich People’s House”. After their conversation on the beach, he was invited to the Beal family’s home that evening for dinner and stories of summers spent at Makaha. After he was back home on the mainland, Sam received and email from Mr. Beal with a file of photos that his grandfather had taken of a big swell. He didn’t open the file for two years, but when he did he quickly realized that the photos weren’t from just any swell, they were from the historic “Swell of ’69”.