…And a Tiller to Steer By
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Phil Jarratt presents the life story of Terry Fitzgerald. Terry’s story begins in his childhood, moving around to various Australian beach cities due to his father being in the Navy. From there surfing enters his life slowly but surely beginning in 1964, leading him on a unique path through what became the beginning of professional surfing through the 70s. There are many notable moments along the way to becoming the “Sultan of Speed,” including legendary shaper Dick Brewer referring to him as the best surfer in world. After a decade of winters in Hawaii, Terry settles back down in Narrabeen where he starts Hot Buttered Surfboards and begins to raise his family and sponsor a team of unique surfers and characters, not unlike himself.