Anatomy Of A Surf Fink
Volume 23.Issue 3
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
“The skilled renderings in Griffin’s binder tell a simple story: Young surfer en route to the beach sees a poster advertising the forthcoming Huntington Beach Surfing Contest and decides to go for it. Despite competing with all the surfing greats, he paddles out and finds himself sliding down the wave of the day to victory. The new hero, as it turns out, is the ideal that every teenage surfer in Southern California is dreaming of. Griffin already had a moniker picked out for this blonde-haired, googly-eyed little finkster with big floppy feet and a strong American overbite: Murphy. Within a few months, the character would become a central icon in the explosion of pop surf culture.”