A Shaper’s Figure
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
Dave Parmenter goes through the mental process of shaping a custom board for Flippy Hoffman using a unique rocker bent by Matthew Barker who worked at Clark Foam. Flippy’s life stories as a California surfer that went to Hawaii in the 1950s and as a diver and sailor informs the shape of the board. Parmenter argues in favor of the difference between shaping by hand versus using a computer-controlled machine. Though imperfect and not as exacting and minutely precise as a machine, evolution of surf shaping is propelled by handshaping as an art.