A Northwest Gothic
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
In the land of unremitting rain and gray skies, Charlie Smith strains for a glimpse of California sunshine, only to be swell-lashed and kelp-tied to the bottom of Pacific Northwest seas. Recalling his upbringing in the ex-logging hub turned meth slum, Smith finds that lessons for the Oregon surfer are hard-earned and not to be idealized.