727 Laguna Canyon Road
Volume 23.Issue 1
Note: Subscribers have access to a downloadable .pdf for all features in the archive.
Subscribers receive access to PDF archives of Volumes 1-29 free as part of their membership.
Get a magic link sent to your email that'll sign you in instantly.
TSJ members receive:
- Bi-monthly delivery of The Surfer's Journal
- 20% off merchandise and apparel in the TSJ store
- Unlimited access to every article we've ever published
- Email delivery of additional original TSJ content
- Member only film screenings
- Exclusive sponsor offers and discounts
The Apple computer, the hot road, the Owsley White Lightning—where else could the foam surfboard blank have been invented but in a California? Whether you know it or not, the Laguna Beach skunkworks at 727 Laguna Canyon Road is the paternal home of your favorite sled. Together, design virtuosos Hobie Alter and Gordon “Grubby” Clark developed the formula that would revolutionize surfboard production in the decades that followed.